Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Sound of Music


This is a story dedicated to my most favourite teacher...Madam Chew Cheng Gaik

Here goes...


"Miss Lim, you are so successful in your career as a musician! May we know who had inspired you to become a famous musician?" asked one of the reporters.




"Thanks for the nice introduction. I have been so successful in my life thanks to my teacher who has always been there to give me her fullest support and guidance," I answered.




When the interview was over, I sat down on my armchair, exhausted. I looked around my room, full of certificates and trophies for my fabulous music. I had today partly because of my hardwork and passion, but mostly because of my teacher, my beloved teacher, Madam Chew Cheng Gaik. As I thought of my teacher, my mind flew back to yesterdays, remembering every sweet memory that we had shared together.




I was a little girl at that time, very young and innocent as well. Everyday I woke up, I could see the sun shining above my little head, flowers of every colour blossoming in the garden, the birds tweeting in their melodious voice, bees buzzing here and there, greeting me good morning "princess'. I came from a rich family, a family that was highly respected by Her Majesty. I had my own private tutor and everything that I fancied. Since I was the only child, my parents always showered me with gifts and presents. Madam Chew, or rather Miss Chew at that time, was my music teacher. She was only 21, freshly graduated from Cambridge University. I took a fancy of her because she was very beautiful and taught her subject very well. She was like an angel, always smiling and never once angry when i made mistakes during our lessons. Under her guidance, my music improved tremendously. I was able to learn Grade Six at the age of 9 years old. I was considered the luckiest child on earth. I had everything I wanted, surrounded by loving parents and warm friends. You couldn't possibly asked more than that. I was like a princess living in a fairy tale castle.




But, everthing changed when the Japanese conquered Malaya. My castle of dreams collapsed to pieces. I lost everything in the war. My beautiful house was destroyed, my beautiful things were nowhere to be seen, and sadly both my loving parents were dead. Those merciless Japanese army slaughtered and burned the innocent people as they went from one place to another. I would have been one of them if Miss Chew did not protect me from these cruel men. Miss Chew and I moved to live in the forests. We built a small, yet comfortable and sweet little wooden house of our own. At last, we were far away from harm. We were safe and sound at last. War had brought about a great impact in my life. I learnt that life was not always a bed of roses, we humans were built to face obstacles and challenges and overcome our fears and problems. War had driven me to become a matured child, one who was not easily defeated by present troubles and challenges. I had finally grown up.




Though, I had almost lost everything during the war, I was blessed that I still had my favourite person in the world, Miss Chew. She was a teacher and a mother to me. Without her, my life would be a misery. Living with her was great fun. I learned how to keep house, bake and gardening. Although we did not live like kings and queens in their sparkling and shining castles, our little house was a great comfort to us. I like to see the fire dancing merrily in the fireplace, smelling the sweet aroma of the flowers and singing the songs that we both loves. We even had our own garden. It was a beautiful one, full of vegetables and fruits. We even reared some hens and cows. I used to be afraid going near the cows because they seemed so big and tall to me. I always ran away when they bellowed. Food is essential to ensure one's survival. Our country was greatly deprived of medicine and food under the Japanese military rule. Many died of starvation and diseases such as malaria and diarrheoa which were widespread during those times. Those were the bitter times of our country. Under the Japanese military rule, life was bitter. No one dared to disobey their orders, because if you did, you get yourself slaughtered in no time. Although times were bad, I still managed to sing a few songs when i went to the green and breezy hills that I loved.


"The hills are alive with the sound of music,

with songs that have sung for a thousand years.

The hills filled my heart with the sound of music.

My heart wants to sing every song it hears.

My heart wants to beat like the wings of the birds that fly from the lake to the trees..."




Miss Chew always like to hear me sing. She said that my sweet voice could lift her burdens and sorrows, Sadness and death filled the atmostphere. This atmostphere lasted for 3 years. The Japanese finally retreated from our country when 2 atomic bombs were dropped in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The British had come back to rule. I was able to go back to school again and learned to play the piano again. Miss Chew married that year to a young and handsome chemistry teacher, Mr. Ling. From that day onwards, I was their adopted child. My new parents worked hard to earn some money to buy me a piano. I couldn't help swelling up with tears when they gave me a piano as my 13th birthday. I was so happy that I hugged and kissed my parents for their lovely and thoughtful gift. I promised them that I would become a famous musician of the century one day. My parents nodded with satisfaction when I said that.




From that day onwards, I was able to practice my music lessons as long as I like. Music was my soul. We could never be parted. As long as I had my piano, I was as happy as a free bird, soaring up to the skies. At the age of 14, I was able to compose songs with the gift of my beautiful voice. I was a great success in small concerts. People used to call me the "The Angel of Music". With that, I was able to earn some money to lift my parents burdens. My family and I lived happily together. We shared pleasant moments together. Every evening after dinner, my parents would listen to the songs that I played with my cleverand talented fingers. My mother would kindly corrected my mistakes and encouraged me that I can do better than that. There was always love, laughter and joy. We lived in perfect harmony, always caring for each other.




When I was 17, i decide to apply for the scolarship to study music in Cambridge University. I was so disappointed when I was rejected. It was as if darkness had swallowed sunshine away. I shut myself in my room most of the time and only went out during mealtimes. I pitied myself that I was always unlucky and good things never happened to me. One day, when I sat down on the green fiels looking over the hills that I loved so much. my mother came up and sat down beside me.




"Isn't the view breath-taking? See the young tree over there? It is swaying here and there as the wind blew. But I am sure that one day it will stand firm on the ground and be as strong as any other trees," she said.




Not quite knowing her meaning, she went on "Life is just like the little tree. The little tree faces challenges and obstacles just like us. It never give up hope, and continue to believe that it will grow up one day and be as strong as any other trees. Liz, this is just only the beginning of your life. One failure doesn't mean that you will always fail. It is God's will to see how well you can handle your situation and face the challenge once again. Failure and success are nothing but imposters, you must learn to treat them equally. Be confident and you can do it. Mummy and Daddy will always support you no matter what happens".




At that instant, I knew that I was wrong. I had worried my parents unneccessarily and hurt their feelings as well. I hugged and kissed her, vowing that i would not gave up hope easily no matter what happened.




"Raindrops on roses, and whiskers on kittens.

Bright copper kettle and warm woolen mittens.

Brown paper packages tied up with strings.

These are a few of my favourite things.

When the dog bites,

when the bee stings,

when I am feeling sad,

I still remember my favourite things

and then I don't feel so bad."




I worked extremely hard after my failure. I would take one step at a time, never settle for less but settle for the best to acheive my goals. After 2 years of hardwork, I applied for the scolarshop once again. My heart thumped wildly when I received my letter. When I knew that I was accepter to study in Cambridge University, I jumped here and there like a joyful andplayful monkey. I finally acheived my goal. I could finally taste the life of overseas. I was going to Cambridge! At the same time, I felt sad too. I had to leave my family behind. I cried when I bid my family farewell. My mother encouraged and advised me to do my very best. I would do anything to make her feel proud of me.




Cambridge, here I came! Cambridge was a very big university. When I entered the building, I fely extraordinary small. The world was so huge and I was surrounded by brilliant students of various fields. I settled myself and continued my studies in music. My professor is Monsieur De La Vega. I heard from my seniours that he was one of the greatest musician in the world and what they said was true. He was simply amazing in music. Simply amazing! You could listen to his music forever and ever. While in England, I missed my family in Malaya very much. I used to write them long letters, telling them my experience and friends in England. Time went swiftly and sooner that I expected, I had been studying music for 3 years in England. It was time for me to sit for my examinations. I remembered that I was so nervous when I was sitting in the exam hall. To my surprise, I passed my examinations with first class honours and won 'The Most Excellent Student of the Year' award. My family was so proud of me. I was very happy as I felt that my life was completed because I had already acheived my dreams. I was offered to become a composer for a vert well known company. I composed a song entitled 'You Are The Music in Me' to my loving parents. My song was one of the greatest hits for a year. The company was very happy and they paid me well for that.




I returned to Malaya once more. I cried with joy when I saw my family in the airport. We hugged and kissed each other. It was such a long time since I was in my parents arms again. We shed happy tears. With my fortune, I was able to buy a stately mansion for my parents and we lived happily ever after. I hugged and kissed my mother. I could never thank her enough. I would not have today if it was not because of her. She had completed me. Thank you for everything. I was totally blessed to have her in my life.




"And you are always free to begin again

And you are always free to believe

When you find the place

That your heart belongs

You'll never leave

You and I will always be

Celebrating life together

I know I have found a friend forever more

Love is like a melody

One that I will always treasured

Courage is the key that opens every door

Though you may not know

Where your gifts may lead

And it may not show at the start

When you live your dreams

You'll find destiny

Is written in your heart."

No comments: